It was foggy this morning when we left Harrisville, but we wanted to get moving to get at least to East Tawas before the predicted thunderstorms got to Saginaw Bay. Our plan is to check the weather again as we get to Tawas Bay and decide if we are stopping there or going on to Bay City.
Other than the fog, the conditions weren’t too bad – there was some light chop, but it was mainly on the bow which is a relatively comfortable ride. The fog finally lifted, but it remained cloudy. When we made our weather check as we got to Tawas Bay we decided to stop. There were definitely storm cells building that had the potential to hit the bay.
It was a good decision to stop in East Tawas as early afternoon brought a very large thunderstorm with hail to the bay – if we had continued on to Bay City we would have been right in the middle of the storm. East Tawas saw very little of the afternoon storms – one passed to the north and one to the south. We still have a chance for some rain tonight, but things should clear up and be good for travel tomorrow.
|the Gold Looper flag flying on Boreas|
|Tawas Point Lighthouse|